Plank cooking isn’t just for salmon. Smoky flavor is within reach when you smolder planks on your grill to infuse all types of meat with the taste and aroma of wood and smoke. This recipe planks thick-cut pork chops, smothered in a sweet-and-spicy strawberry BBQ sauce. Forget about using a commercial brand of barbecue sauce here. Instead, make this homemade BBQ sauce — it’s so simple, and so good, it may become your new go-to favorite.
Planked Pork Chops with Strawberry BBQ Sauce
- Measuring Cups/Spoons Set
- Beechwood Pastry Brush Set
- 9" Locking Tongs with Metal Head
- Wooden Spoon Set
- 3-Quart Saucepan
- Cedar Grilling Planks
- Half-Sheet Pan
- Natural Gas Grill
- 10" Chef's Knife
- 18 x 24-Inch Plastic Cutting Board
THE SAUCE, HEAT
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Minced fresh garlic
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp. Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. Prepared yellow mustard
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- ¼ cup Minced onion
THE PORK CHOPS, ARRANGE
- 2 Cedar planks, soaked
- 4 Pork loin chops (1–1½-inch thick; about 12 oz. each), patted dry and seasoned with salt and black pepper
- Prepare grill for two-zone grilling, heating one side to medium-high heat to maintain a temperature of 450–500° and keeping the other side unlit.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium. Add onion and garlic; sweat until softened, 3 minutes. Stir in ketchup, jam, brown sugar, lime juice, mustard, and Tabasco. Cook sauce until jam dissolves, 3–4 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
The Pork Chops
- Arrange soaked planks on grill over outer burners until planks begin to smoke, 3–4 minutes. Flip planks and arrange over center burners.
- Cook pork chops on planks, covered, until a thermometer inserted into centers of chops registers 135°, 10–15 minutes.
- Brush chops with sauce. Flip chops to outer burners and grill until marks appear, 1–2 minutes per side. Transfer chops to a platter, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve pork chops with remaining sauce.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories592
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6g 30%
- Cholesterol 191mg 64%
- Sodium 612mg 26%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 74g 148%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.