This cocktail, crafted by the talented Justin Ang from The Baldwin Bar in Woburn, Massachusetts, goes by the Tagalog name “mix-mix.” It’s as catchy as it is delicious! Well, well, well, Ang, a clever soul from the Philippines, decided to name it after a frosty treat that combines shaved ice, condensed milk, and a delightful medley of fruits, jellies, and sweet beans.
Ang whips up a wicked cocktail by mixing silver rum, cacaçha, lime juice, and pineapple juice, then adds a splash of ube milk for that eye-catching purple pop. Cheers to a vibrant drink! He goes all out with the garnishes, giving the drink a dessert-inspired makeover. Mint sprigs, dehydrated mango, dehydrated pineapple, and unsweetened flaked coconut join the party.
- ¼ cup Ube Milk
- 1 ½ tbsp light rum (such as Privateer Silver)
- 1 ½ tbsp Leblon Cachaça
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 ½ tbsp pineapple juice
- Crushed or pellet ice, as needed
- Garnishes: mint sprigs, dehydrated mango, dehydrated pineapple slice or pineapple frond, and unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 sm (8 ounce) purple sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 ¼ cups water, plus more for sweet potatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (from 1 [13 1/2-ounce] can, well-shaken and stirred), chilled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ½ oz sweetened condensed milk (about 1/3 cup) (from 1 [14-ounce] can)
- 1 ½ tsp ube extract
Prepare the Ube Milk
- Place sweet potato in a medium pot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high. Boil until sweet potato is easily pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, let cool for 10 minutes.
- Process sweet potato, 1 1/4 cups water, coconut milk, sugar, condensed milk, and ube extract in a blender until smooth, about 30 seconds. Ube Milk can be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Make the Cocktail
- Place Ube Milk, rum, Leblon Cachaça, lime juice, and pineapple juice in a cocktail shaker; fill shaker with ice. Cover and shake for 15 seconds.2. Strain into a zombie glass , and top with additional ice. Garnish with mint sprigs, dehydrated mango, dehydrated pineapple slice or pineapple frond, and sprinkle of flaked coconut.