This grilled banana split is a bit like the iconic soda fountain dessert — but without the puddle of ice cream in the bowl. Here, “sandwiches” of angel food cake are stuffed and grilled with chocolate, creating the finger-licking characteristics of a banana split.
Banana Split “Sandwiches” with Fruit Salad
THE FRUIT SALAD
- 1 cup Hulled and sliced strawberries
- ½ cup Peeled, chopped kiwi (2 kiwi)
THE CAKE & FRUIT SKEWERS
- 4 Wedges angel food cake (3-inches wide)
- 4 oz. Bittersweet chocolate, broken into 1 oz. pieces
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 Banana, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Rings fresh pineapple, ¾-inch-thick, cut into quarters
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Toss strawberries and kiwi for the salad in a bowl; set aside.
- Prepare cake wedges as shown, right. Tuck a piece of chocolate inside each pocket, then brush the cut sides with butter; set aside.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl for the skewers. Coat banana chunks with lemon juice, then dredge them and the pineapple in cinnamon sugar. Alternately thread 2 pineapple pieces and 1 banana chunk on each of 4 skewers.
- Oil the grill, then arrange fruit skewers on the grates with ends of the skewers extending over the edge; cover and cook 2–3 minutes. Turn skewers over and place cake sandwiches on grill; cover and grill 2–3 minutes, flipping the cake after 1 minute to melt the chocolate.
- To serve, place a fruit skewer inside each cake pocket, press down lightly to hold fruit in place, then pull out the skewers. Top each sandwich with some of the fruit salad.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories428
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 12g 60%
- Cholesterol 23mg 8%
- Sodium 216mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
- Protein 5g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.