Let the natural, sweet flavor and creamy, smooth consistency of dairy shine in this simple, yet delicious French-style, custard-based Sweet Cream Ice Cream. Then use it as a base to create the cherry variation, or flavors of your own.
Sweet Cream Ice Cream
- 9" Wire Whisk
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
- 3-Quart Saucepan
- 1.5-Quart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream Maker
- Measuring Cups/Spoons Set
- 3 Egg yolks
- ¾ cup Sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups Whole milk
- 1 cup Half-and-half or heavy cream
- Whisk together egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar in a bowl until thick and pale yellow.
- Heat milk, half-and-half, and remaining ½ cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until steam rises. Gradually add half the hot milk mixture to yolks, whisking constantly. Add yolk mixture to remaining hot milk mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook mixture 5–8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Strain ice cream base into a bowl and cool in an ice bath. Cover bowl; chill 4–12 hours. Churn ice cream according to manufacturer's directions. Store ice cream in a covered airtight container in the freezer.
- Cherry variation: Heat 2 cups frozen tart cherries, 1 cup sugar, and ½ cup hot water in a saucepan over medium-high. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce liquid to 1 cup; stir cherry reduction into warm milk mixture (omitting ½ cup sugar in Sweet Cream Ice Cream recipe); continue cooking according to recipe directions. During last few minutes of churning, add ½ cup chopped tart cherries.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories131
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4g 20%
- Cholesterol 92mg 31%
- Sodium 34mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 3g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.