This crowd-pleaser is inspired by one of the biggest holiday icons around — candy canes. Peppermint-flavored mousse pairs perfectly with two layers of chocolate for an oh-so festive Christmas pie.
Chocolate Peppermint Pie
THE CRUST, COMBINE
- 1 ½ cups Chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (6½ oz.)
- 6 tbsp. Butter, melted
THE CHOCOLATE LAYER, MELT
- 4 0z. Milk bar chocolate, chopped
- 6 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. Instant espresso powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
THE PEPPERMINT MOUSSE
- 7 oz. White bar chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Heavy cream, divided
- ½ cup Sour cream
- ½ cup Crushed candy canes or peppermint candies (about 18 candies)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- For the crust, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
For The Chocolate Layer
- Melt milk chocolate, butter, and espresso powder in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until ingredients are combined; remove.
- Beat eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and salt in a bowl with a hand mixer on high speed, until mixture turns pale yellow and falls from the beaters in thick ribbons.
- Whisk one-third of the egg mixture into the chocolate, then fold in the remaining egg mixture in two batches. Pour chocolate filling into unbaked cookie crust.
- Bake pie until chocolate layer is no longer shiny, about 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven; cool to room temperature, then thoroughly chill.
For the Peppermint Mousse
- Heat white chocolate, ¼ cup cream, and sour cream in a saucepan over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until chocolate melts and ingredients are combined. Off heat, stir in crushed candies. Occasionally whisk mixture until it cools to nearly room temperature.
- Whip the remaining ¾ cup cream in a separate bowl with the hand mixer, until it forms soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into peppermint mixture in three batches to form mousse; chill at least 2 hours.
- Gently spread peppermint mousse over chocolate filling; chill at least 2 hours more before serving.
- Sprinkle pie with finely crushed peppermint candies.
- The crust and chocolate filling can be made 1 day ahead. Prepare peppermint mousse the day that you plan to serve the pie.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories546
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 23g 115%
- Cholesterol 141mg 47%
- Sodium 229mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Protein 6g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.