The holidays bring out the child in everybody, and these sandwich cookies are a case in point. Refined? Not really. So grown-ups, go on, lick your fingers! A boon for busy Santa’s helpers, these tasty cookies can be baked ahead of time and frozen. To decorate, just fill, glaze, and “mint” the cookies on the day you want to serve them.
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
THE COOKIES, WHISK
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- 6 tbsp. Unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. Brewed coffee, cold
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- Superfine sugar for rolling
THE FILLING, BLEND
- ⅓ cup Marshmallow creme
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup Sifted powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. Peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
THE GLAZE, HEAT
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. Shortening
- 20 Red and white peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar in another bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add coffee and vanilla, beat to incorporate, then blend in flour mixture just until dough forms. Shape dough into generous 1-inch balls. Roll balls in superfine sugar and arrange on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass dipped in the sugar. Bake cookies 12–14 minutes, or until they spring back when touched lightly. Let cookies cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack.
- Blend marshmallow creme and butter in a bowl with a mixer. Add powdered sugar, peppermint extract, and food color; beat until smooth. Spread 2 tsp. filling on the flat side of half the cookies; sandwich each with a second cookie.
- Heat cream in a saucepan over medium-high until bubbles form at the edge. Pour cream over chocolate and shortening; let stand 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let glaze stand until thickened, about 5 more minutes, then dip a portion of each sandwich cookie into the glaze.
- Roll glazed portion of cookies in crushed mints and place on a cooling rack. Chill cookies until glaze is set, about 30 minutes. (Leftover glaze may be chilled, then reheated and served over ice cream.)