With elegant good looks, creamy texture, sophisticated taste, and simple instructions, this is one chocolate dessert that will leave you with plenty of good cheer. Even better, this five-star Chocolate-Almond Torte is also a great make-ahead dessert.
Chocolate-Almond Torte with Ganache Topping
- 9" Cake Pans
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Instant Espresso Powder
- 8" Chef's Knife
- 9" Wire Whisk
- 3-Quart Saucier
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
THE TORTE, BOIL
- ⅓ cup Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Stick unsalted butter (8 Tbsp.), cubed
- 1 bag Bittersweet chocolate chips (12 oz.)
- 1 tsp. Instant espresso powder
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- ⅓ cup Almond liqueur or cold brewed coffee
- 2 tsp. Pure almond extract
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ¾ cup Bittersweet chocolate chips (4 oz.)
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 9×2-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray. Line with parchment paper cut to fit into the bottom of the pan; coat with nonstick spray.
- Boil water and sugar in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Off heat, add butter, chocolate chips, espresso powder, and salt. Let sit 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Whisk in liqueur and almond extract.
- Whisk eggs until whites and yolks are combined, then whisk into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, then place inside a roasting pan. Add hot water to roasting pan halfway up the outside of the cake pan. Bake torte until puffed and soft to the touch, 40–45 minutes. Remove the roasting pan from the oven, then remove the cake pan to a cooling rack. Let torte cool 1 hour.
- Run a paring knife around the inside of the cake pan; invert onto a platter. Peel off parchment; cool completely or chill until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature.
- Heat cream in a measuring cup in a microwave on high until boiling, 1–2 minutes. Add chocolate chips and let sit 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Cool ganache 2–3 minutes, then spread over the top and down the sides of the torte. Sprinkle top with almonds. Dip a knife blade into hot water and wipe dry for each slice. Chill any leftover cake.
- Chocolate is the star in this recipe, so be sure to use a top-quality dark chocolate, one with at least 60 percent cacao.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories360
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 13g 65%
- Cholesterol 124mg 42%
- Sodium 99mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 5g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.