If you love strawberry shortcake, these Strawberry Shortcake Bars are for you. With incredible fresh strawberry flavor in every bite, there’s no holding back. Strawberry shortcake is to summer what apple pie is to fall. And if this favorite seasonal dessert brings you to your knees, this recipe is for you. For a new take on this iconic dessert, take all the layers and repackage them into an easy-to-make and incredible-tasting bar.
Strawberry Shortcake Bars with Fresh Strawberry Topping
THE BARS, WHISK
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- 1 Stick cold unsalted butter (8 Tbsp.), cubed
- Sparkling sugar, optional
- 1 cup Diced fresh strawberries
- 4 oz. White bar chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 1 Egg
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Strawberry jam
THE TOPPING, PURÉE
- 4 cups Fresh strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered if large, and divided
- Whipped cream
- ⅓ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
- ¼ cup Water
- Pinch of table salt
- 1 – 2 Drops red food color, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a 9-inch-square baking pan with nonstick spray. Line pan with a 2-inch overhang of parchment paper; coat with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until butter is pea-sized; stir in strawberries and white chocolate.
- Whisk together heavy cream, egg, and vanilla, then add to flour mixture, blending with a fork just until dough comes together.
- Press half the dough onto bottom of prepared pan. Spread jam over dough, then pat remaining dough over the top; sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake bars until lightly golden, 35–40 minutes; cool to room temperature, then cut into 12 bars.
- Purée ¾ cup halved or quartered strawberries in a food processor. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in puréed strawberries, water, and pinch of salt; bring to a boil and cook until thick, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Stir in food color, then remove from heat and let cool slightly; pour over remaining 31/4 cups strawberries. Let topping cool to room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve bars with topping and whipped cream.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories342
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 10g 50%
- Cholesterol 51mg 17%
- Sodium 253mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 4g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.