German chocolate cake is a light brown chocolate-buttermilk cake sandwiched with a crunchy-chewy coconut-pecan frosting. Get ready to indulge in the best chocolate cake on the planet.
German Chocolate Cake
- 9" Cake Pans
- 5-Quart Stand Mixer
- High-Heat Scraper
- Half-Sheet Pan
- 4-Quart Saucepan
- Spatula Set
- 9" Wire Whisk
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- 8" Chef's Knife
- 18 x 24-Inch Plastic Cutting Board
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
- Measuring Cups/Spoons Set
THE CAKE, POUR
- ½ cup Boiling water
- 4 oz. Bittersweet bar chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, softened (8 Tbsp.)
- 1 ¾ cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk
THE TOPPING, TOAST
- 3 cups Sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup Coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- 4 oz. Semisweet bar chocolate, chopped
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° with racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper rounds.
- For the cake, pour boiling water over bittersweet chocolate in a small bowl; cover and let sit 2 minutes to soften. Whisk mixture until chocolate melts.
- Whisk together flour, espresso powder, baking soda, and table salt in a large bowl.
- Beat butter 1 minute on medium low speed. With the mixer running, add sugar in a steady stream. Once all sugar is added, increase speed to medium and cream mixture until light and fluffy, 4–5 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.
- Add eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 11/2 tsp. vanilla and the melted chocolate mixture.
- Alternately beat flour mixture and buttermilk into creamed mixture in thirds, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake cakes until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 18–22 minutes. Remove cakes from oven; cool in pans on cooling racks, 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks, remove parchment, and let cool completely.
- For the topping, toast coconut and pecans on separate baking sheets, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 12–18 minutes.
- Boil 1½ cups sugar, ¼ cup water, and kosher salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the color of iced tea, swirling occasionally, 7–10 minutes. Add cream and whisk until mixture dissolves. Add semisweet chocolate; whisk over low heat until chocolate melts.
- Off heat, stir in 2 tsp. vanilla; let caramel cool until warm to the touch, about 10 minutes, then stir in coconut and pecans.
- To assemble cake, spread a heaping cup of topping on each layer and on top of cake.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories698
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 25g 125%
- Cholesterol 125mg 42%
- Sodium 395mg 17%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 8g 16%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.