When you can’t decide between strawberry shortcake, or a chocolate dessert, look to this Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Shortcake. Shortcakes loaded with chocolate chunks, then topped with syrupy strawberries, rich chocolate sauce, and fluffy whipped cream are sure to fulfill both your cravings.
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Shortcake
THE SHORTCAKES, WHISK
- 1¾ cups All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- 4 tbsp. Cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup Chopped semisweet bar chocolate
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ⅓ cup Plain yogurt
- Heavy cream
- Sanding or granulated sugar
THE TOPPINGS, CRUSH
- 1 box Frozen strawberries in syrup (10 oz.), thawed
- 4 cups Halved fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. Fresh lemon juice
BRING TO A SIMMER
- ⅓ cup Heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. Light corn syrup
- 4 oz. Chopped semisweet bar chocolate
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. Powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, 3 Tbsp. sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender until butter is the size of peas, then add ¼ cup chocolate. Stir together ½ cup cream and yogurt in a second bowl, add to flour mixture, and blend with a fork just until dough comes together.
- Pat out dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle about 1-inch thick. Using a 2½-inch round cutter, cut out as many shortcakes as possible and place on prepared baking sheet. Gently press scraps into a 1-inch-thick circle and cut remaining biscuits.
- Brush shortcakes with cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until golden, about ⏰ 15 minutes.
- Crush thawed strawberries in a bowl with a potato masher. Stir in fresh strawberries, ¼ cup sugar, and lemon juice. Let stand at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Bring ⅓ cup cream and corn syrup to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place 4 oz. chocolate in a bowl and pour cream mixture over. Let stand briefly to melt, then whisk until smooth.
- Beat ½ cup cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Halve shortcakes horizontally; coat cut sides with strawberry juices. Place bottoms on serving dishes, cut side up, then top with chocolate sauce, strawberries, whipped cream, and remaining shortcake halves.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories664
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 23g 115%
- Cholesterol 95mg 32%
- Sodium 503mg 21%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
- Protein 8g 16%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.