Tostones – also known as patacones or fried green plantains – are made healthier with this easy air fryer recipe. No deep frying, just a few spritzes of olive oil for a crispy, delicious appetizer or side dish.
- 1 Large green plantain, ends trimmed and peeled (6 oz after)
- olive oil spray,
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. Garlic powder
- With a sharp knife cut a slit along the length of the plantain skin, this will make it easier to peel. Cut the plantain into 1 inch pieces, 8 total.
- In a small bowl combine the water with salt and garlic powder.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- When ready, spritz the plantain with olive oil and cook 6 minutes, you might have to do this in 2 batches.
- Remove from the air fryer and while they are hot mash them with a tostonera or the bottom of a jar or measuring cup to flatten.
- Dip them in the seasoned water and set aside.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F once again and cook, in batches 5 minutes on each side, spraying both sides of the plantains with olive oil.
- When done, give them another spritz of oil and season with salt. Eat right away.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories102
- % Daily Value *
- Sodium 250mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Sugars 12g
- Protein 1g 2%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.