This pie’s gorgeous looks and incredible flavors make it a dessert fit for a queen, so be sure save room, you’re going to want a slice of this!
Sweet Potato Pie
THE CRUST, PULSE
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Stick cold unsalted butter (8 Tbsp.), cubed
- 4 oz. Cold cream cheese, cubed
THE FILLING, WHISK
- 2 cups Sweet potato purée (from 1 lb. baked sweet potatoes)
- 4 Egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue topping)
- ¾ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup Evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- ¼ tsp. Ground nutmeg
- Minced zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Pineapple preserves
THE MERINGUE, BEAT
- 4 Egg whites
- 10 oz. Marshmallow creme (2½ cups)
- For the crust, pulse flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and cream cheese and pulse until dough forms around the blade. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and press into a disk; chill 30 minutes. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle; transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim all but 1 inch of overhang from dough, fold edge under, and crimp.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line pie shell with foil and fill with dried beans or rice. Bake shell until set, about 20 minutes, then carefully lift out foil and beans. Bake crust until light brown, 5–10 minutes.
- For the filling, whisk together sweet potato purée, yolks, granulated sugar, brown sugar, evaporated milk, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and zest in a bowl. Spread preserves over bottom of hot crust, then pour in filling and smooth the top; bake 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325° and bake until a knife inserted 1-inch from center comes out clean, 20–30 minutes more. Transfer pie to a rack, leaving oven on.
- For the meringue, beat egg whites with a hand mixer in a bowl until soft peaks form. Add marshmallow creme and beat until stiff peaks form, 5–7 minutes. Spread meringue over pie to edges, “spiking” it to make swirls.
- Return pie to the oven and bake 15 minutes, rotating pie for even browning. Cool pie to room temperature. To cut, dip a sharp knife in hot water and gently slice through meringue, dipping knife each time. Cover leftover pie with plastic wrap and chill.