Celebrate strawberries when they’re at their best with a tart that’s not only mouthwatering, but a visual stunner as well. Plump and juicy, ripe fresh strawberries are delicious on their own, but sometimes you want to showcase them. Do so in this tart with two strawberry toppings.
THE CRUST, PULSE
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp. Sugar
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- 10 tbsp. Cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. Heavy cream
THE FRANGIPANE, PURÉE
- 1 cup Slivered almonds, toasted
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, cubed and softened (8 Tbsp.)
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp. Pure almond extract
THE GELÉE, PULSE
- 4 cups Fresh strawberries, hulled, divided
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tsp. Unsweetened gelatin
- pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture forms a fine meal.
- Whisk together egg yolks and cream. With the machine running, pour in the yolk mixture and process just until mixture forms a ball. Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to about ⅛-inch thick; transfer to a 10¼-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Trim overhanging dough to 1-inch, then fold in, pressing into the sides to create a thick edge. Press between edge and base to create a 90° angle. Scrape excess dough away with the back of paring knife. Cover crust with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- purée almonds, sugar, flour, and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Add softened butter, eggs, and almond extract, process until smooth, then evenly spread onto chilled crust. Chill tart until firm.
- Bake tart on a baking sheet until frangipane is golden, about 30 minutes; cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place sieve inside a bowl.
- Pulse 2 cups strawberries in a food processor until minced; transfer to a bowl, stir in sugar and lemon juice, and let sit 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Strain mixture through prepared sieve (weigh down with a plate and a heavy object), about 30 minutes; discard solids. If necessary, add water to yield 3/4 cup juice; transfer to a small saucepan.
- Sprinkle gelatin over strawberry juice to form the gelée; let sit 5 minutes. Heat mixture over medium until gelatin melts. Cool gelée to room temperature. Reserve 2 Tbsp. gelée. Pour remaining gelée over frangipane and spread to the crust’s edge.
- Halve remaining 2 cups strawberries and arrange on top of gelée; brush with reserved gelée. Chill tart until gelée sets up; serve at room temperature
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories383
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 12g 60%
- Cholesterol 127mg 43%
- Sodium 162mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
- Protein 6g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.