When it comes to tequila, there’s way more than meets the eye. Did you know that tequila is technically a type of mezcal? Or that it’s an incredibly versatile spirit? While classic margaritas are objectively delicious, there’s a whole world of tequila-based cocktails out there—from colorful tequila sunrises to effervescent palomas—plus, the top-shelf stuff is fantastic served either neat or on the rocks. It ain’t bad with some salt and a slice of lime, either.
But depending on your drinking plans, you’ll want to scoop a different bottle at the liquor store. Don’t be intimidated by the sheer number of options out there! We’ve rounded up some of the best and most popular tequila brands—including a few of our editor’s favorites.
But, first thing’s first. Here’s everything you need to know about tequila before buying.
- Best Overall Tequila: Herradura Silver Tequila
- Best Budget Tequila: Sauza Silver Tequila
- Best Value Tequila: Cabo Wabo Blanco
- Best Gift: Clase Azul Reposado Tequila
- Best Splurge: Don Julio 1942
- Best Tequila for Beginners: Casamigos Blanco
- Best Tequila for Cocktails: Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Reposado
- Best Tequila for Marg Night: El Jimador Silver
- Best Tequila for Special Occasions: Patrón Añejo
- Best Tequila for Sipping Neat: Don Julio 70 Cristalino Tequila
- Best Flavored Tequila: Dano’s Dangerous Tequila Blanco
- Best Spicy Tequila: Hornitos Plata Tequila
- Best Blanco Tequila: El Tequileño Platinum
- Best Tequila for Cooking: Jose Cuervo Especial Gold
- Best Tequila for Marinades and Sauces: Avión Añejo
- Best Tequila for Citrusy Dishes: Espolòn Blanco Silver Tequila
- Best Reposado Tequila: Teremana Reposado Tequila
- Best New Tequila: Villa One Silver Tequila