This cake isn’t like any other you’ve had. Drenched with three kinds of milk, it’s so moist it’s almost juicy! Between the refreshingly moist cake and its fruit topping, this tres leches [trehs LEH-ches] cake, or Latin American “three milks” cake, is ideal for a special event on a hot day. The cake part is known as génoise [zhayn-WAHZ], which by itself is spongy, eggy, and bland. But after soaking in a syrup of three milks (and a little rum if you feel so inclined), it morphs into a super-moist wonder. Rather than the typical whipped-cream topping, load this tres leches cake with seasonal fruit. A mix of berries is a great choice, but peaches, nectarines, or even bananas are fair game, too. Just macerate (soak) the fruit with sugar to bring out the juices.
Tres Leches Cake with Summer Fruit
THE CAKE, BEAT
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, melted (8 Tbsp.)
THE SYRUP, COMBINE
- 1 can Sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- ½ cup Evaporated milk
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. light rum (optional)
THE TOPPINGS, COMBINE
- 2 cups Fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup Fresh blueberries
- 1 cup Fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-inch springform pan, 2- to 3-inches high, with nonstick spray.
For The Cake
- Beat eggs and 1 cup sugar with a hand mixer at high speed in a large bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, beating until eggs are pale, thick, and tripled in volume, about 10 minutes. Remove bowl from heat, add vanilla, and continue to beat until cool, about 5 minutes more.
- Combine flour and salt; gently fold a third of the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Fold in remaining flour in two additions.
- Whisk together butter and 1 cup batter in a small bowl, then gently fold back into remaining batter. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30–40 minutes. Transfer cake to a baking sheet and let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup cream, and rum in a measuring cup with a pour spout. Poke cake all over with a skewer. Slowly pour syrup over warm cake, including edges, letting it soak in before adding more until all the syrup is absorbed. Let cake cool, cover with waxed paper, and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- combine strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and 1/4 cup sugar; macerate 30 minutes.
- Whip 1½ cups cream and 3 Tbsp. sugar in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form.
- To serve, remove sides of pan, then top cake with fruit. Slice cake and serve cold with whipped cream.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories517
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 17g 85%
- Cholesterol 179mg 60%
- Sodium 198mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Protein 9g 18%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.