Skillet Mixed Berry Buttermilk Cobbler is made with blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries covered with a delicious biscuit topping and baked in a cast iron skillet.
Skillet Mixed Berry Buttermilk Cobbler
- cooking spray
- 1½ Tbsp. Cornstarch
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 5 cups Fresh mixed raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. Lemon zest
- ½ tsp. Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup White whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup Unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- ½ tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tsp. Baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. Chilled sweet whipped butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup Low-fat buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 10-inch cast iron or enamel skillet with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Toss in the mixed berries and gently mix to coat. Add honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla then transfer to a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake until the berries are hot and bubbling on the edges, about 20 to 24 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- When the berries are ready to take out of the oven, cut in the chilled butter (must be very cold) using a pastry cutter (or 2 knives) until they form pebble-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk and oil; mix well. Add to the dry mixture and mix until just moistened, careful not to over-mix. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, increase the oven temperature to 400°F and spoon the batter over the berries.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, increase the oven temperature to 400°F and spoon the batter over the berries.
- Place back in the oven and bake until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden and cooked through, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool 15 to 20 minutes before eating.
- If using frozen berries, let them thaw.
- Don’t have a skillet? Do it in a pie dish.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories151
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%
- Cholesterol 5.5mg 2%
- Sodium 100.5mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4.5g 18%
- Sugars 16.5g
- Protein 2g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.