Homemade custard, fresh bananas, and rich salted caramel in a buttery pie crust. The ultimate cream pie!
Salted Caramel Cream Pie
THE CRUST, PROCESS
- 5 oz. Pretzel sticks (3 cups)
- 1 cup Chopped pecans
- 3 tbsp. Dark brown sugar
- 10 tbsp. Unsalted butter, melted
THE FUDGE, WHISK
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ⅛ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 2 oz. Semisweet bar chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
THE PASTRY CREAM, WHISK
- ½ cup Packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup Cornstarch
- 4 Egg yolks
- 2 ½ cups Whole milk, divided
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. Pure vanilla extract
THE MERINGUE, BEAT
- 4 Egg whites
- 1 Jar Marshmallow creme (7 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Process pretzels, pecans, and brown sugar until fine. Pulse in melted butter until incorporated.
- Press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake crust until set, 10–12 minutes; cool completely on a rack.
- Whisk together granulated sugar, cocoa, cream, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat; cook until smooth and sugar melts, then whisk in butter until melted.
- Off heat, stir in chocolate until melted, then stir in vanilla. Pour fudge over bottom of crust and chill until set.
The Pastry Cream
- Whisk together brown sugar, cornstarch, and yolks in a bowl; whisk in ½ cup milk.
- Boil granulated sugar, water, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat for the caramel, swirling occasionally, until it reaches the color of iced tea, 12–14 minutes. Carefully whisk in remaining 2 cups milk until smooth.
- Slowly add half the caramel mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return egg-caramel mixture to pan and bring to a boil; whisk constantly until pastry cream thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla; strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Cool pastry cream to room temperature, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then spread over fudge layer. Press plastic wrap over surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill pie at least 4 hours to set pastry cream.
- Preheat broiler to low with rack 6 inches from element.
- beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, 1–2 minutes.
- Gradually add marshmallow creme, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form and meringue is glossy, 4–5 minutes. Spread meringue evenly over pie with the back of a spoon, spiking the top.
- Broil pie until meringue is golden, about 3 minutes; serve immediately.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories526
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 13g 65%
- Cholesterol 113mg 38%
- Sodium 659mg 28%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 7g 15%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.