Cast iron isn’t used exclusively for savory dishes. It’s the perfect cookware for creating stunning, rustic desserts as well. There’s no better way to caramelize fruit, like for this Plum Upside-Down Cake, flavored with brown butter and orange.
Plum Upside-Down Cake with Brown Butter & Orange
- 12" Cast-Iron Skillet
- KitchenAid 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
- High-Heat Scraper
- 8" Chef's Knife
- 18 x 24-Inch Plastic Cutting Board
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
- Measuring Cups/Spoons Set
- 2-Quart Saucier
- 2 Sticks unsalted butter (16 Tbsp.)
- 1 ¾ cups Packed light brown sugar, divided
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 ½ lb. Red plums, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla bean paste
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp. Minced orange zest
- ¼ cup Fresh orange juice
- Melt 2 sticks butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, swirling pan, until brown specks appear, 5–8 minutes. Transfer brown butter to a bowl and cool until nearly solidified.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine ¾ cup brown sugar, 4 Tbsp. butter, and ½ tsp. cinnamon in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, stirring until melted. Off heat, arrange plums in concentric circles over sugar mixture.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and remaining ½ tsp. cinnamon in a bowl.
- Beat browned butter, remaining 1 cup brown sugar, and vanilla bean paste with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3–4 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in zest and orange juice. With mixer on low speed gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just to combine.
- Spoon batter over plums, spreading gently to cover skillet. Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30–40 minutes. Let cake sit 15 minutes, then invert onto a platter to cool completely before serving.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories426
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 13g 65%
- Cholesterol 113mg 38%
- Sodium 317mg 14%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 5g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.