Inspired by a classic French-Canadian sweet treat, they’re almost pecan pie-like. With a buttery shortbread crust, slightly bitter walnuts, and rich maple syrup flavor, these bars are completely addictive. Whether you sample them straight from the pan, with a splash of heavy cream over the top (as Canadians prefer them), or with just a dollop of whipped cream, you’ll be hard-pressed to eat just one.
Maple-Walnut Bars with Shortbread Crust
- 8" Chef's Knife
- Mixing Bowl Set
- Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set
- Heat Resistant Oven Gloves
- Stainless Steel 8-Inch Square Baker
- Non-Stick Pro Bakeware
- Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste
- Non-Stick Silicone Cooking Utensil Set
- Grips Balloon Whisk
- Sous Chef Food Processor
- Unbleached Parchment Paper Sheets
THE CRUST, CREAM
- 1 ½ sticks Unsalted butter, softened (12 Tbsp.)
- ⅓ cup Maple sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 1 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. Table salt
THE FILLING, BEAT
- 1 cup Pure maple syrup
- ⅔ cup Maple sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. Bourbon (optional)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- 1 cup Chopped walnuts, toasted
- Heavy cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with softened butter. Line pan with an 8-inch square of parchment paper, then liberally coat paper, sides, and corners of pan with more softened butter and flour, shaking out excess
- cream butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed. Add flour and salt; mix until incorporated. Press crust into prepared pan; refrigerate 30 minutes. Bake crust until lightly browned, 20 minutes.
- Beat syrup, sugar, eggs, bourbon, vanilla, and salt with a mixer on medium speed until combined; stir in walnuts. Pour filling over crust.
- Bake bars until filling is golden brown and set, 35–40 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a rack and let bars cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen bars from pan. Let bars cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve bars with heavy cream.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories512
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 11g 56%
- Cholesterol 82mg 28%
- Sodium 224mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 6g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.