One of the most popular foods in Barbados is macaroni pie (also know simply as ‘pie’)! It’s our own take on macaroni and cheese, specially seasoned and baked to perfection. The Bajan version is made with macaroni tubes rather than elbow macaroni.
Macaroni Pie (Macaroni and Cheese)
- 8 oz. Macaroni (the best option is usually the long tube type)
- 1 tbsp. Butter or margarine
- 1½ cup New Zealand anchor cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Medium size onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp. Hot English mustard
- 1 tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 tsp. White pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- cap Full of Bajan pepper sauce
- 1 Sweet pepper mixed
- Bring water to the boil and add the broken up macaroni o salt. Cook it uncovered until it is just tender (about 8 minutes).
- Preheat a moderately hot oven 350F, 180C.
- Drain the macaroni thoroughly, leave it in the strainer while you make a roux in the hot saucepan. To do this add butter and a sprinkle of flour and mix.
- Now put the macaroni back into the saucepan and mix. Turn on stove to low.
- Add the cheese in gradually and keep mixing.
- Whisk the egg until fluffy and add the milk, onion, white pepper, salt, pepper sauce,ketchup, and mustard.
- Pour in with the macaroni and mix.
- Place in a greased casserole dish. Top the dish with the mix of cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 30-45 minutes depending on the depth of the dish.