This creamy baked macaroni and cheese recipe is a lighter version of the classic recipe with added fiber from spinach. It’s comfort food at its finest!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 oz. Elbow macaroni, wheat or whole wheat
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- ¼ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Minced onion
- 2 cups Skim milk
- 1 cup Chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 oz. Reduced fat cheddar, Optional best results shred yourself
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups Baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup Seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- olive oil spray
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Spray a baking dish with buttered flavor Pam.
- Preheat oven to 375F°.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk.
- Add onion and cook another 2 minutes. Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheese 1/4 cup at a time and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and baby spinach.
- Pour into baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more oil on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories261
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4g 20%
- Cholesterol 20.5mg 7%
- Sodium 277mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 5.5g 22%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 13g 26%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.