An easy recipe for raspberry lamingtons, a traditional Australian dessert: squares of sponge cake with raspberries and covered in desiccated coconut. So yummy!
Lamingtons with Raspberry Fills
- Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2-Quart Saucepan
- KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer
- 18 x 24-Inch Plastic Cutting Board
- 10" Serrated Knife
- Fine-Mesh Sieve Set
- 8" Cake Pan
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- Melon Baller
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
- High-Heat Scraper
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Half-Sheet Pan with Rack
THE SPONGE CAKE, WHIP
- 4 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. Vanilla bean paste
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- 1 ⅓ cups Cake flour
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
- 5 tbsp. Unsalted butter, melted and cooled but still liquefied
- ½ – 1 cup Raspberry jam
THE TOPPING, PLACE
- 8 oz. Semisweet bar chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 6 cups Finely shredded desiccated coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat an 8-inch square pan with butter and line bottom with parchment.
The Sponge Cake
- whip eggs, sugar, vanilla bean paste, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until thick and pale, about 20 minutes.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, fold into egg mixture with a spatula, then gently whisk butter into batter by hand and spread into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 28–30 minutes; cool completely.
- When cool, turn cake out onto cutting board, remove parchment, and trim brown edges from cake. Cut cake into 16 squares. Using a melon baller, scoop out two cake balls from centers of each square (discard second scoop from each square). Fill cavities with ½–1 tsp. jam and top with reserved cake balls. Cover squares with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- place chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream in a saucepan over medium just until it begins to boil; pour over chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Place coconut in a shallow dish. Set a rack inside a baking sheet.
- Using two forks, dip each cake into ganache, tapping off excess on side of bowl, then roll in coconut, lightly pressing to completely coat. Transfer cakes to prepared rack, and let set 30 minutes before serving.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories335
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 18g 90%
- Cholesterol 73mg 25%
- Sodium 81mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 4g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.