Jamaican Beef Patties are filled with spicy beef, seasoned with paprika and allspice and wrapped in a buttery, yellow crust flavored with turmeric.
Jamaican Beef Patties
- 450 g. Self-rising flour, plus more for dusting, about 3 cups plus 2 tbsp.
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- 1½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. Ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. Chilled butter, diced small
- 1 cup Ice water
- 2 Tbsp. Ice water
- milk or water, for brushing
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 Medium onion, minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, de-seeded and diced (wear gloves)
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. Fresh ground pepper
- 1 Beef stock cube,
- ⅔ cup Boiling water such as Maggi
- 1 tsp. Sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. Allspice
- 1 tsp. Breadcrumbs or flour
- 2 Tbsp. Dark soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce or browning
- Sift the flour into a bowl then stir in the sugar, salt and turmeric. Add the butter and rub them into the dry ingredients until you have a crumbly texture.
- Gradually add ice water to create a dough. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill in the fridge 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the meat and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and scotch bonnet and cook 3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Dissolve beef cube in boiling water and add to the skillet with the paprika, allspice, breadcrumb or flour and the soy sauce or other sauce. Stir and simmer 20 minutes, then set aside to cool completely.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350F.
- Take the chilled dough out of the fridge. Dust work surface and rolling pin with flour so the dough doesn’t stick.
- Roll out the dough, when flat fold it into a square then roll again. Repeat 2 to 3 times to create a traditional patty crust.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/16th thickness.
- Place an upturned bowl or lid about 6 inches in diameter on top and carefully cut around it with a sharp knife. You should get 12 total, with a 6-inch size.
- Divide the meat mixture between each, about 3 tablespoons each and spoon it onto one side of the circle.
- Brush a little milk (or water) around the edge of the dough and carefully fold the patty over so the edges meet. Use your fingers to press and seal them, then use a fork and press around the edges.
- Poke a few holes on top with the fork to make steam holes and place on a baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes, until golden.
- Air fry 325F 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories191
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2g 10%
- Cholesterol 29mg 10%
- Sodium 412mg 18%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 11.5g 23%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.