Hummingbird Cake is typically a beautiful layer cake filled and frosted with traditional American Cream Cheese Frosting. By making the cake in a brownie pan instead of in layers you get all the flavor while saving a ton of time – all the sooner you can dig in to this yummy treat.
Hummingbird Cake with Whipped Cream Cheese & Rum Frosting
- 9" Cake Pans
- Spatula Set
- Cooling rack
- High-Heat Scraper
- KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer
- KitchenAid 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer
- 9" Wire Whisk
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- Lock n' Lift Can Opener
- Cuisinart Fine-Mesh Sieve Set
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
- Measuring Cups/Spoons Set
THE CAKE; WHISK
- 3 cups All Purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Table salt
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. Ground allspice
- ½ tsp. Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 4 Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup Packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup Dark rum
- 2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Vegetable oil
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4–5 medium-large)
- 1 can crushed pineapple (8 oz.), drained
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
THE FROSTING, WHIP
- 1 ⅓ cups Heavy cream
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. Granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- ¼ cup Dark rum
- 2 pkg. Cold cream cheese (8 oz. each), cubed
- Coconut Chips, optional
- Edible Flowers, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat bottoms of three 9-inch-round cake pans with butter, line with parchment, then coat parchment and sides of pans with butter and flour, shaking out excess.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Cream eggs, granulated and brown sugars, rum, and vanilla in a bowl with a hand mixer on high speed until it forms ribbons, 5–7 minutes. With mixer running, slowly drizzle in oil until incorporated.
- Beat in bananas and pineapple until evenly distributed.
- Fold flour mixture into banana mixture just until incorporated, then stir in pecans and coconut.
- Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake cakes until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 25–30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- Transfer cakes to a cooling rack; cool in pans 15 minutes, then turn cakes out to cool completely.
- Whip together heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment on medium low speed until sugar dissolves, 1–2 minutes.
- Add rum; continue whipping until cream thickens, 1–2 minutes more.
- Add cream cheese, with mixer running, about 2 oz. at a time, until incorporated, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl and whisk attachment (frosting will look curdled).
- Whip frosting on high speed, scraping down sides of bowl, and whisk every 30 seconds, until frosting is smooth and light with only a few tiny bits of cream cheese throughout, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange one cake layer on a serving plate; spread one-third of frosting to edges. Top with second cake layer and one-third more frosting; stack final cake layer on top and spread frosting to edges.
- Decorate top of cake with coconut chips and edible flowers. Chill cake until ready to serve.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories564
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 13g 65%
- Cholesterol 105mg 35%
- Sodium 422mg 18%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 7g 15%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.