Hot cross buns are spiced sweet bread rolls filled with fruit that will always have a cross on top
Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix* (5 oz)
- 2 tsp. Baking powder, make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise
- 2 Tbsp. Raw sugar
- ¾ tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt, use less if using table salt
- 1 cup 0% Greek yogurt,
- 3 Tbsp. Raisins
- 1 Egg white, beaten
Icing (only half will get used)*:
- ¼ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Milk or water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and raisins, mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 10 to 15 turns
- Divide into 8 equal balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top with egg wash. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before icing.
For the icing
- In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar with milk until smooth. Transfer to a small ziplock bag and cut the tip. Ice the tops of the rolls in a cross pattern.
Air Fryer Method
- Preheat the air fryer 325F degrees and set for 11 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer in batches without overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until golden. No need to turn.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes before icing.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories230
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Sodium 426mg 18%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.5g 6%
- Sugars 16.5g
- Protein 10.5g 21%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.