Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Small yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 28 oz. Crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup Water, or as needed
- 2 ½ Tbsp. Tomato paste
- ¼ cup Chopped fresh basil* (packed)
- ¾ tsp. Dried oregano
- ¼ cup Finely shredded parmesan, plus more for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch (and deep) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef in crumbles, leaving space between them, and let sear on bottom until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Then start crumbling beef and continue to cook, tossing and crumbling occasionally until fully cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer beef to a large plate lined with paper towels, leave 1 Tbsp rendered fat in skillet (or add 1 Tbsp olive oil).
- Reduce skillet heat to medium, add onion and saute 4 minutes. Add garlic saute 1 minute longer.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, water, tomatoes paste, cooked beef, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a light boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until onions are tender, about 15 – 20 minutes.** Thin with a little more water as needed (or thicken with a little more tomato paste as needed).
- Stir in parmesan. Serve warm with cooked spaghetti, garnish with more parmesan and parsley.
- For more added richness you can stir some butter, extra virgin olive oil, or cream in at the end.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories220
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5g 25%
- Cholesterol 55mg 19%
- Sodium 169mg 8%
- Potassium 335mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 16g 32%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.