Homemade Artisan Bread
- Large bowl
- Plastic wrap or kitchen towel
- Large Dutch oven with ovensafe lid
- Parchment paper
- 1 lb All-purpose flour (about 3 cups) plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tsp 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ tsp Active dry yeast
- 1½ cups Lukewarm water
- Make a wet, shaggy dough. Place the flour, salt, and yeast in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Make a well in the center, and add the water into the well. Stir until it forms a shaggy dough.
- Cover the dough bowl and let rise for 6 to 8 hours. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel. Set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size and bubbly, 6 to 8 hours.
- Shape the dough and rise for another hour. Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto it, folding it over on itself at least once while you do so. Quickly shape the dough into a round ball . Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour more.
- Preheat the oven and the Dutch oven. About 30 minutes before the hour is up, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven. Place a large Dutch oven with its lid on the rack. Heat the oven to 450°F.
- Transfer the loaf to the preheated Dutch oven.The shaped dough will have risen and nearly doubled in size. Using the parchment paper as a sling, carefully transfer the loaf, still on the paper, to the Dutch oven. If desired, make a slash or shallow cut on the top of the dough with kitchen shears or a sharp knife so that the bread can expand while baking.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Place the lid on the pot and put it in the oven. (Careful, the lid is hot!) Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove the lid and bake for 15 minutes more. You can be extra-sure that the bread is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted in the top or side registers 210°F.
- Cool and slice the bread. Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and use the parchment paper to transfer the bread to a wire rack. Let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing the bread.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories229
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.1g 1%
- Sodium 284.3mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.8g 8%
- Sugars 0.2g
- Protein 6.7g 14%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.