Delicious Green Detox Soup with Toasted Hemp Gremolata is not your typical detox soup, this one is loaded with healthy fats and hemp seeds, a complete protein so it keeps you full too! Perfect if you need a reset from a weekend spent indulging!
Green Detox Soup with Toasted Hemp Gremolata
- 2 tbsp. High-heat oil
- 1 Medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Fennel bulb, roughly chopped (fronds reserved)
- ½ tsp. Fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups Chopped kale leaves
- 2 cups Low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Garlic head, minced
- ⅓ cup Hulled hemp seeds
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup Loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper, to serve (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- When it shimmers, add the onions, chopped fennel bulb, and ¼ teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until it wilts, 3 to 4 minutes. If any browned bits stick to the bottom of the pot while cooking, add 1 tablespoon water at a time to loosen them up.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Immediately stir in two-thirds of the minced garlic, then let the soup cool, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- When it shimmers, stir in the hemp seeds, remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, and remaining garlic.
- Spread the mixture into a single layer in the bottom of the pan, then cook, stirring and redistributing into a single layer occasionally, until the hemp and garlic are golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Chop the fennel fronds.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then stir in the lemon zest and fennel fronds.
- Add the cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice to the soup.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender in the pot, and blend until very smooth.
- Ladle the soup into 2 bowls and top with a generous amount of the gremolata. Garnish with pepper, if desired.
- Amount Per ServingCalories413
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
- Sodium 890mg 38%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 11g 44%
- Sugars 12.5g
- Protein 15g 30%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.