This familiar dessert of toasted pecans, sweet gooey filling, and flaky crust gets a mini makeover while remaining true to its roots. To start, use both butter and shortening in the crust for classic flavor and an ultra-tender crumb. A few tablespoons of bourbon creates a foolproof, flaky texture and enhances the toasted pecan flavor.
Classic Pecan Pie
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
- 8" Chef's Knife
- 18 x 24-Inch Plastic Cutting Board
- 3-Quart Saucepan
- Pastry brush
- 2-Pound Pie Weights
- 9" Glass Pie Plates
- French Rolling Pin
- High-Heat Scraper
- Cooling rack
- Pastry Blender
- 9" Wire Whisk
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- 12-Inch Skillet
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
THE CRUST, WHISK
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- 6 tbsp. Cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 tbsp. Cold shortening, cubed
- 3 tbsp. Ice water
- 2 tbsp. 2 Tbsp. chilled bourbon
- 1 Egg white, beaten
THE FILLING, WHISK
- 1 cup Pure maple syrup
- 1 cup Packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Full-flavored molasses
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp. Bourbon
- 1 tbsp. Pure vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp. Table salt
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 2 cup Pecan halves, lightly toasted, divided
- 1 tbsp. Pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. Bourbon
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- whisk together flour, granulated sugar, and ½ tsp. salt. Cut in 6 Tbsp. butter and shortening, using a pastry blender, until pea-sized.
- Combine water and 2 Tbsp. bourbon, then stir into flour with a rubber spatula, lightly pressing, until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic; chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle; transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom. Trim all but 1-inch overhang, fold edge under, and crimp. Prick bottom of crust with a fork; freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400° with rack in lowest position.
- Line crust with parchment paper, fill with dried beans or pie weights, and bake until crust is set, about 25 minutes; remove beans and parchment and brush bottom and sides of crust with egg white. Bake crust until golden, 10 minutes; let cool completely.
- Whisk together 1 cup maple syrup, brown sugar, and molasses in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook filling, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes; let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 4 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. bourbon, vanilla, and ¾ tsp. salt. Slowly whisk in eggs until incorporated.
- Roughly chop 1 cup pecans and add to filling; pour into prepared crust. Toss remaining 1 cup pecans with 1 Tbsp. maple syrup and 1 Tbsp. bourbon, then arrange over top of pie. Transfer pie to oven and decrease temperature to 325°.
- Bake pie until filling is set and center is slightly jiggly, 60–65 minutes. Transfer pie to a rack and let cool completely, 4–5 hours. Serve pie with ice cream.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories467
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 8g 40%
- Cholesterol 72mg 24%
- Sodium 266mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 5g 10%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.