These bars sandwich the nutty, buttery flavor of toffee between rich chocolate and a wafer crust.
Christmas Toffee Bars
- 2 cups Vanilla wafer cookies, crushed
- ¼ cup Packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup Unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup Packed brown sugar
- 1 cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds), toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a 9×13-inch glass baking dish.
- Crush vanilla wafers in resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin. Combine crushed cookies with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter in a bowl.
- Press mixture into prepared baking dish, using a measuring cup to tamp down crust. Bake for 8 minutes, or just until set.
- Melt 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar together in a saucepan, stirring to blend. Bring mixture to a boil and boil 1 minute without stirring.
- Immediately pour mixture over hot crust, then return pan to oven. Bake bars an additional 10 minutes, remove, and cool for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over toffee and let stand until chips are glossy, about 5 minutes. Spread chocolate using an offset spatula, then sprinkle nuts on top of bars. Cool bars completely.
- Remove toffee from pan. To break toffee into pieces, insert tip of a paring knife into toffee and twist until pieces break.