Chimichangas, deep-fried burritos popular in Tex-Mex cuisine, are seriously delicious, but usually dripping in grease and loaded with calories. These lighter chicken, green chile, and pepper Jack cheese Chimichangas are a much healthier twist on the classic
Chicken Chimichangas (Air Fryer or Baked)
The Pico de Gallo
- ½ cup Diced tomato
- 3 Tbsp. Chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp. Fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. Shredded leftover or rotisserie chicken breast
- Juice of 1/2 navel orange
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 can mild diced green chiles, drained (4 oz)
- 4 Low-carb whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup Shredded pepper Jack cheese, 2 oz total
- Olive oil spray
- 3 cups Shredded lettuce
- 4 Tbsp. Sour cream
- 4 oz. Avocado, from 1 small Hass, diced
- For the pico de gallo: In a small bowl, combine the tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- For the chimichangas: In a large bowl, combine the chicken, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and drained chiles. Mix well to incorporate.
- On a work surface, working with one at a time, place one-quarter of the chicken mixture (almost 3/4 cuonto the bottom third of a tortilla. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Lift the edge nearest you and wrap it around the filling. Fold the left and right sides in toward the center and continue to roll into a tight cylinder. Set aside, seam side down, and repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Lightly spray all sides of the chimichangas with oil. Place 2 of the chimichangas seam side down in the air fryer basket. (Make sure each chimichanga is tightly wrapped and seam side down in the basket or it will open during cooking.) Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden and crisp. (For a toaster oven–style air fryer, cook at 350°F; the timing remains the same.) Repeat with the remaining chimichangas.
- To serve: Place 3/4 cup shredded lettuce on each plate. Place a chimichanga on top, along with 2 tablespoons pico de gallo, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 ounce avocado. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- To bake in the oven, bake in a preheated oven 400F 18 to 20 minutes.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories391
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6g 30%
- Cholesterol 93mg 31%
- Sodium 716mg 30%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 16.5g 66%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 40g 80%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.