As the days get colder, warm up with a bowl of Chicken and Barley Soup, made with carrots, onions, celery, chicken breasts, and pearl barley.
Chicken Barley Soup
- 1 tsp, Olive oil
- 1 cup Chopped carrots
- 1 cup Chopped onions
- ½ cup Chopped celery
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs. Skinless bone-in chicken breast, makes 14 oz. cooked
- 7 cups Reduced sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup Chopped parsley
- 2 Bay leaves
- ⅔ cup Dry pearl barley
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large heavy pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add the oil, carrots, onion, celery and garlic to the pot and stir.
- Add chicken, broth, parsley, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer covered over low heat until the chicken and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred or cut the meat, discard the bones and return the chicken to the pot along with the barley, adjust the salt if needed and add fresh ground pepper. Simmer an additional 30 minutes, or until the barley is cooked.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve. Makes about 9 cups.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories262
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Cholesterol 83mg 28%
- Sodium 744mg 31%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 31g 62%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.