Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies are a perennial favorite. And it’s no wonder why, being chewy, spicy, and sweet they’re hard to resist. Freshly-ground black pepper and orange zest join the usual set of spices. Butter adds flavor, but shortening joins the mix to keep the cookie moist.
Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Ground ginger
- 2 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. Table salt,
- ½ ground cloves
- ½ freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Packed dark brown sugar
- 8 tbsp. Shortening
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Full-flavor molasses
- Minced zest of 1 orange
- Granulated sugar
- Whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cloves, and pepper.
- Cream brown sugar, shortening, and butter in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes.
- Add egg and beat until combined.
- Beat in molasses and zest, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in flour mixture, just to combine.
- Chill dough at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop dough using a #100 scoop (1 tsp.), roll in granulated sugar, and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies until edges are set, about 10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on baking sheets.