These cherry cookies are truly one of a kind. Made with homemade maraschino cherries and a dough lightly flavored with almond, these gem-like cookies are true winners.
Cherry Thumbprint Cookies
THE COOKIES, WHISK
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. Table salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter, softened (8 Tbsp.)
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Packed light brown sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. Pure almond extract
THE FILLING, HEAT
- ⅔ cup Liquid from Homemade Maraschino Cherries
- 1 ½ tsp. Cornstarch
- 1 tsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 24 Homemade Maraschino Cherries
- For the cookies, whisk together flour and salt.
- Cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg yolk, vanilla, and almond extract and beat on low speed until blended.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture; beat on low speed until combined. Wrap dough in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, transfer to prepared baking sheets, spaced 1-inch apart, and indent to make thumbprints.
- Bake cookies until edges are set, 12–14 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack; indent again if needed.
- Heat cherry liquid in a small saucepan over medium-high to a boil. Whisk together cornstarch and lemon juice, whisk into boiling cherry liquid, and cook until very thick, 5–6 minutes; cool slightly. Spoon filling into cookie indentations and top each with a maraschino cherry; cool completely.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories199
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3g 15%
- Cholesterol 19mg 7%
- Sodium 28mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
- Protein 4g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.