Love chocolate cake? Soak it with sweetened condensed milk and caramel, and top it with whipped cream and candy bars. It becomes better than … anything.
Caramel-Soaked Chocolate Cake
THE CARAMEL, BOIL
- 1 cup Packed brown sugar
- ½ cup Golden syrup
- ¾ cup Heavy cream, divided
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
THE CAKE, WHISK
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Table salt
- 2 cups Hot water
- ¾ cup Canola oil
- 2 tbsp. Distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Instant espresso powder
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
THE WHIPPED CREAM, BEAT
- 3 cups Heavy cream
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 cup Chopped chocolate-covered toffee candy bar (such as Heath)
- For the caramel, boil brown sugar, golden syrup, ¼ cup cream, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture reaches 240° on a thermometer, 2–5 minutes. Whisk in remaining ½ cup heavy cream and transfer to a glass measuring cup with a pour spout; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine hot water, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and espresso powder; whisk into dry mixture. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Poke the cake all over with a fork while still hot.
- Spread sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cake and allow to soak in. Spread caramel evenly over the cake. Allow cake to cool to room temperature, then cover and chill until cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- For the whipped cream, beat heavy cream to nearly stiff peaks; add powdered sugar, and beat to combine. Spread whipped cream over chilled cake, then sprinkle toffee bar over the top.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories352
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 8g 40%
- Cholesterol 43mg 15%
- Sodium 225mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Protein 3g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.