Make flaky and tender lemon blueberry scones with our easy to follow tips! These buttermilk scones are fluffy, bursting with blueberries and ready in 1 hour. Definitely the best blueberry scone recipe for summer!
Buttermilk Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Baking Sheet
- Pastry Cutter
- 2 cup All-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- ½ tsp Fine salt
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 1/2-inch cubes and then chilled
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen blueberries, preferably small
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold buttermilk
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Scatter the butter cubes over the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives and working quickly, cut the butter into the flour mixture until small, pea-sized pieces remain. Add the blueberries and toss to combine.
- Drizzle in the buttermilk and mix with a rubber spatula until just incorporated and a rough, slightly sticky mound has formed (not all of the flour will be incorporated). Turn the dough and loose flour out onto a floured work surface and knead until most of the flour is incorporated and the dough just holds together (be careful not to overwork it).
- Pat the dough into a 1-inch-thick-round about 7 inches in diameter. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
- Bake until golden-brown on the top and bottom, about 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Make The Glaze
- Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled scones in a zigzag pattern and let sit until the glaze hardens, about 15 minutes.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories234
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6.0g 30%
- Sodium 214.2mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.2g 5%
- Sugars 13.6g
- Protein 3.6g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.