Three treats in one , this recipe for Butter Pecan Brittle-Bark has got it going on. Not just brittle and not just bark, this hybrid of a recipe is also reminiscent of the beloved turtle candy. Whip this up during the holidays and you will be the most popular guest around.
Butter Pecan Brittle-Bark
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Stick unsalted butter (8 Tbsp.)
- ½ cup Water
- ⅓ cup Light corn syrup
OFF HEAT, STIR IN
- 2 tbsp. Rum
- ½ tsp. Nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups Pecan halves, toasted, divided
- 1 tsp. Coarse sea salt, divided
- 6 oz. Semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- Coat a baking sheet and the back of a large serving spoon with nonstick spray.
- Heat sugar, butter, ½ cup water, and corn syrup in a 4-qt. heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium; bring to a boil. Using a pastry brush, wipe sides of pan with warm water just above boiling mixture to melt any sugar crystals. Insert candy thermometer into pan; cook mixture, stirring gently and frequently, until light brown and 295°, about 20 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in rum, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The mixture will foam up; stir quickly until all ingredients are incorporated. Add 2 cups pecans; stir quickly until evenly distributed.
- Pour brittle immediately onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a smooth, ¼-inch-thick layer with prepared spoon. Sprinkle brittle with ½ tsp. salt. Drop chocolate chips evenly over brittle; let stand until softened, about 3 minutes. Chop remaining 1 cup pecans.
- Spread chocolate over brittle using an offset spatula; sprinkle with chopped pecans and remaining ½ tsp. salt. Let candy cool completely, then break into pieces.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories175
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4g 20%
- Cholesterol 9mg 3%
- Sodium 111mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Protein 2g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.