Ice cream alone is a treat, but we all know that sundae toppings are where it’s really at. For this Black Forest Sundae specialty, make homemade Bing cherry sauce and hot fudge — store-bought versions just don’t even compare.
Black Forest Sundaes
THE CHERRY SAUCE, SIMMER
- 1 lb. Fresh or frozen Bing cherries, pitted
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Apple juice
- 2 tbsp. Dry red wine
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. Apple juice
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
THE HOT FUDGE, COMBINE
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¾ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Espresso powder
THE SUNDAES, LAYER
- Vanilla ice cream
- Crushed chocolate wafer cookies
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Chocolate wafer cookies, halved
- For the cherry sauce, simmer cherries, sugar, ¼ cup apple juice, wine, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine 2 Tbsp. apple juice and cornstarch in a bowl until smooth; whisk into cherry mixture and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Let sauce cool at least 10 minutes before serving
- For the hot fudge, combine sugar, cream, cocoa, espresso powder, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil fudge 3 minutes, stirring, then remove from heat. Let fudge cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- For the sundaes, layer 2–3 scoops ice cream with cherry sauce, fudge, and crushed cookies in each of eight serving dishes; garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and cookie halves.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories696
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 19g 95%
- Cholesterol 110mg 37%
- Sodium 302mg 13%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
- Protein 9g 18%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.