There are as many versions of this sticky delight as there are cultures around the world that make it. But this Persian-style variation stands out from the crowd, and for good reason. Made with both almonds and pistachios, and flavored with Persian mainstays like orange, cardamom, and rose water, this is surely a treat you can’t pass up.
Baklava with Orange & Cardamom
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
- Glass Liquid Measuring Cups
- Hamilton Beach Electric Coffee & Spice Grinder
- 3-Quart Saucepan
- 9" Wire Whisk
- Cuisinart Fine-Mesh Sieve Set
- Cuisinart 14-Cup Food Processor
- Glass Nesting Bowls
- Beechwood Pastry Brush Set
- 9 x 13-Inch Pan
- 4.5" Utility Knife
THE SYRUP, SIMMER
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Honey
- ½ cup Water
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- Juice of 1 orange
OFF HEAT, STIR IN
- 20 Green cardamom pods, ground in a spice grinder
- 2 tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. Minced orange zest
- 2 Drops rose water
FOR THE BAKLAVA, PROCESS
- 8 oz. Slivered almonds
- 8 oz. Shelled, roasted and salted pistachios
- 4 tbs. Sugar
- 2 Sticks unsalted butter, (16 Tbsp.) melted
- 1 lb. Phyllo dough (40 sheets)
- Simmer sugar, honey, water, salt, and orange juice in a saucepan over medium heat until syrup reaches 235°
- Stir in cardamom, lemon juice, zest, and rose water. Cool syrup completely, then strain and discard solids.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- process almonds and pistachios separately, each with 2 Tbsp. sugar, in a food processor until finely ground; transfer to a bowl and combine.
- Brush bottom and sides of a 9×13-inch baking pan with melted butter.
- Layer 10 phyllo sheets in bottom of pan, lightly brushing each sheet with butter; evenly top with ⅓ nut mixture.
- Repeat procedure twice more, drizzling 2 Tbsp. syrup over 20th and 30th sheets. Finally, layer and butter remaining 10 phyllo sheets. Let baklava rest 10 minutes, then cut into diamonds. Lightly wet fingers with water then evenly flick over top of baklava.
- Bake baklava until golden brown, 45–50 minutes, then run a knife along cut lines to ensure it’s cut all the way through. While baklava is hot, pour cool syrup evenly over top, allowing it to run into the cuts and around edges. Cool baklava completely, then cover, and rest overnight before eating.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories183
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3g 15%
- Cholesterol 11mg 4%
- Sodium 98mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
- Protein 3g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.