A recipe for salted cod fish fritters that are easy to prepare and a bite-sized bit of sheer bliss.
Bajan Fish Cakes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 small hot pepper, finely diced
- chopped parsley, thyme and marjoram
- 1 lb boneless, skinless salt cod
- 1 cup water
- To prepare the salted cod, boil in 6 cups of water for 4 minutes. Throw off the water and boil a second time for 3 minutes. Flake the fish with a fork.
- In a bowl, combine the flaked fish with the other ingredients. Stir until a thick batter forms. You can add more water or more flour to get the desired consistency.
- Drop the batter by teaspoonful into oil over medium heat, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. You may need to turn the heat down to medium-low if the fish cakes are burning before being fully cooked.
- Drain on paper towels. Fish cakes are best eaten hot!