Traditionally, this rustic French dessert is all about cherries, but switch things up and make apples the star, with a few dried cherries as a nod to the classic.
Apple Clafouti Pie
- 9-Inch Deep Pie Dish
THE FILLING, COMBINE
- ½ cup Dried cherries
- ½ cup Apple liqueur or brandy
- 4 Jonagold apples (1¾ lb.), peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup Packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- ½ Vanilla bean, seeds scraped
THE BATTER, BLEND
- 5 tbsp. Unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Half-and-half
- ⅔ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. Table salt
- Ground cinnamon and sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- For the filling, combine cherries and liqueur in a bowl; set aside to plump, 15–30 minutes. Strain cherries, reserving liquid.
- Cook apples, brown sugar, 3 Tbsp. butter, lemon juice, vanilla seeds, and reserved liqueur in a skillet over medium heat, until apples soften, 7–10 minutes.
- Brush pie plate, with 1 Tbsp. melted butter; heat in oven while blending batter.
- For the batter, blend remaining 4 Tbsp. butter, eggs, half-and-half, flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth and frothy.
- Pour half the batter into heated pie plate. Layer half the apples (reserving apple juices) on top of batter followed by half the cherries. Repeat layering with remaining apples and cherries. Top with remaining batter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar; bake until golden and set in the center, 25–30 minutes.
- Simmer reserved juices in a skillet until reduced by a third. Serve clafouti drizzled with warm juices.
- Serve clafouti at room temperature drizzled with the warm reserved juices.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories244
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 7g 35%
- Cholesterol 81mg 27%
- Sodium 123mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
- Protein 3g 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.