Thought to be one of the oldest tart varieties, the Austrian linzertorte is known for its crumbly pastry flavored with cinnamon, lemon zest, and nuts, and for its bright jam filling. This more portable — but just as elegant — cookie version is made of two almond flavored cookies sandwiching a layer of sweet-tart raspberry-lemon jam.
Almond Linzer Cookies
FOR THE COOKIES, BEAT
- 2 ½ Sticks unsalted butter (20 Tbsp.)
- 1 cup 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Sliced almonds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp. Pure ground vanilla powder
- ¼ tsp. Table salt
- ¼ tsp. Each ground cinnamon and cloves
FOR THE JAM, STIR
- ⅓ cup Seedless red raspberry jam
- 2 tsp. Minced lemon zest
- Powdered sugar
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For the cookies, beat butter with a mixer until smooth. With mixer running, gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy, 3–5 minutes.
- Combine flour, almonds, vanilla powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves; gradually beat into butter mixture just until blended. Divide dough in half and wrap each in plastic wrap; chill no longer than 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Roll each dough half on a lightly floured surface to ⅛-inch thick. Cut cookies with a 3-inch cutter, then cut out centers of half the cookies with a 1½-inch cutter; transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets. Reroll scraps once.
- Bake cookies until golden, 15 minutes; let cool on baking sheets 1–2 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- For the jam, stir together jam and zest. Sprinkle hollow cookies with powdered sugar. Spread ½ tsp. jam mixture on solid cookies. Sandwich solid cookies with hollow cookies, then fill centers of layered cookies with about ¼ tsp. jam mixture.
1 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories172
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6g 30%
- Cholesterol 25mg 9%
- Sodium 26mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 2g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.